Property Type: Adaptive Reuse / Historic
Built in 1885, the Emerson School was designed by Colorado’s first registered master architect, Robert Roeschlaub, who was known for his innovative school designs. Closed in 1979, the Emerson School was adapted in the 1980s to create a senior center and medical clinic. Upon completion, The Frank B. McGlone Center at Emerson School was donated to the National Trust by Capitol Hill Senior Resources, Inc. In 2010, St. Charles was engaged as the developer for this LEED-certified property, completing a substantial renovation of the structure and relocation of the former tenants in 2012. The renovation included a new central heating and cooling plant featuring 36 geothermal wells located in the school-yard parking area.